About this Report
This Year in Review report summarizes the research activities and outcomes funded by the AHRQ Digital Healthcare Research Program in 2019. The objective of the report is to support AHRQ stakeholders, including clinicians, health systems, policymakers, researchers, and patients to:
- Learn about the goals of research funded by the Digital Healthcare Research Program.
- Discover the innovative health technologies developed and tested by AHRQ-funded researchers, including new and emerging research funded in 2019.
- Understand how the Digital Healthcare Research Program improves healthcare quality and safety at the patient, provider, and health systems levels.
- Access knowledge and products disseminated by AHRQ’s Digital Healthcare-funded researchers to enhance knowledge transfer and the replication of successful strategies that improve patient safety and healthcare quality.
The Digital Healthcare Research Program funds research to create actionable findings around “what and how health information technology works best” for its key stakeholders: patients, clinicians, and health systems working to improve healthcare quality and safety.
The Research Summary outlines the innovative health services research completed in 2019 and highlights the impact the research has on improving patient-centered care, supporting clinicians and other healthcare professionals in providing health services, and sharing health information across technologies and healthcare environments to leverage data and technology to strengthen health systems.
The following stories highlight exemplary completed research that amplify and demonstrate the impact of AHRQ-funded research.
- It’s Not Just for Video Games: Using Virtual Reality to Enhance Patient Care
- Smart Mobile Health App Improves Screening for Risks and Protective Factors for Pregnant Women
- Using Aviation Technology to Prevent Healthcare Errors: The Health IT Black Box
Emerging Research Stories
The following stories demonstrate the new innovative emerging research AHRQ funds to address important agency priority areas.
- Decision Precision+: Increasing Lung Cancer Screening for At-Risk Patients
- Creating Age-Friendly Health Systems: Implementing Decision Support in the ED to Improve Geriatric Prescribing Practices
- Tailoring Visits Using Person-Specific Patient-Reported Outcomes to Improve Care for People with HIV
The Research Spotlights highlight some of the most the impactful work funded by the AHRQ Digital Healthcare Research Program: scaling and disseminating evidence-based interoperable clinical decision support and advancing the use of patient-reported outcomes, both of which significantly impact and improve quality of care.
The Digital Healthcare Research Program-funded researchers share and disseminate their research findings in many ways, including publishing in peer-reviewed journals and presenting at health- and IT-focused conferences and AHRQ web conferences.